WHAT IS CANNABIS?
The word cannabis is used synchronously with other words like ‘marijuana’ weed, herb, etc., just to name a few. They all mean the same thing and are used interchangeably.
- Whenever you come across the word marijuana, you hear two different interpretations of the word from two opposing groups. One says that it is a dangerous psychoactive drug and should be banned while the other believes that it is more of a magical healing herb that can cure many illnesses.
- So what exactly is marijuana? It’s nothing but the dried leaves and flowers of the plant Cannabis comprising of two main cannabinoids- a chemical called Tetrahydrocannabinol or commonly known as THC which is responsible for the psychoactive properties of the plant and the other called Cannabidiol (CBD) which is a non-psychoactive and therapeutic compound, a prime component of medical cannabis which is now legal in 29 of the US States.
WHY IS MEDICINAL MARIJUANA FOR YOU?
If you are suffering from a chronic ailment where the conventional medicines and standard methods have been rendered ineffective, you can seek a healthcare professional who will provide you a written recommendation for medical marijuana treatment for your concomitant condition.
- The physician will examine your physical condition, the illness affecting you and will document it in your medical records before providing you a recommendation letter.
- Medical Marijuana is now considered effective for treating many conditions wlike Anxiety, Arthritis, AIDS/HIV, Cancer Chemotherapy Side Effects, Fibromyalgia, Glaucoma, Migraine Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis (MS) Radiation Therapy Side Effects, degenerative neurological disorders, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and various other debilitating, chronic or terminal Illnesses.
- Through the feedback from patients and reports from numerous other centres all over the US, Medical Marijuana has benefited many people in the alleviation of symptoms related to anxiety, epileptic seizures and has helped control side-effects like nausea and vomitting in HIV and Cancer patients to a great extent.
It can provide a better sense of relief, comfort, and sleep without the toils of stress. The best part is, it doesn’t necessarily need to be smoked; it can be consumed in through edibles, oils, vapes.
MEDICATING WITH MARIJUANA: WHAT ARE YOUR OPTIONS?
With the increasing usage of medicinal marijuana amongst the hoi polloi, there are many ways to make the consumption of this bud creative. You can choose from the traditional methods or be imaginative and choose from a variety of ways to partake of the wacko weed. Most people limit their research to just a few methods.
There are three ways to deliver the effect of marijuana in your system-inhalation, oral delivery and topical methods. Before discussing those, lets first look at the main characteristics of our prized plants.
Potency – Cannabinoids impart special qualities to marijuana. The most well-known and abundantly found cannabinoid is called THC (delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol). In addition to this, the bud also contains other cannabinoids like CBD, CBN, THCV, CBC and CBG.
- THC –Being the most psychoactive component in marijuana, THC imitates the dynamics of anandamide, occurring naturally in the brain. When combined with other cannabinoids THC has been proven to provide health benefits. It generally makes people feel creative, curious and euphoric. High levels of THC in any given bud strain may cause anxiety or disorientation.
- CBD –Cannabidiol or CBD is the non-psychoactive element and has gobs of positive health implications. It also alters and stabilizes the subjective effects of THC. High strain CBD marijuana has been proven to provide relief to patients suffering from Multiple Sclerosis, Fibromyalgia and Epilepsy. CBD is being increasingly used and researched for its medicinal properties.
- Sativa –Sativa strains provide energizing, euphoric and uplifting effects. These cerebral strains work best when consumed during daytime.
- Indica –These skunky strains are known for their intense ‘couch locking’ effects. They are mellow and will make you feel super relaxed, lazy and sleepy; so always smoke these around nighttime.
- Hybrid –Hybrids combine the better of the two strains! A hybrid will possess traits from both its parents (a sativa and an indica mostly) but its effect will be extreme (either too physical or mental), influenced by each parent strain’s unique lineage.