How to Get a New York Medical Marijuana Card
1Register With Online Medical Card
Begin by filling out our application form. This is a basic questionnaire that just has questions pertaining to your medical history. These details are shared with your doctor to ensure that the process is fast and hassle-free for you. All you need to do is make sure that all your information is accurate.
You don’t need to schedule an appointment. Connect with a doctor after submitting the application form.
2Have a Medical Evaluation
Submit the application form and have a medical evaluation through our HIPAA compliant online platform. The New York Medical Marijuana doctor will evaluate your medical condition and determine if you need cannabis for your condition or not. There is no set list of qualifying medical conditions in NY. It is up to the discretion of the doctor to approve or deny your application for a medical marijuana recommendation.
3Receive Your Recommendation
Once the doctor approves your application, you will receive a PDF of your marijuana recommendation via email. Use your recommendation to register with the NY State Department of Health for your cannabis card. Here’s how you can begin-
- Create an personal account on my.ny.gov website.
- Login to your personal account
- Click on ‘Health applications’
- Find ‘Medical Cannabis Data Management System’ (MCDMS) link
- Click on ‘Start New Registration’
The website will provide you with further instructions on how you can register as a patient or a caregiver. Once approved, you will receive a temporary card via email and a permanent physical copy via mail. No state fee is levied for a marijuana card application.
Please Note: A cannabis card is issued to you by the state and not by Online Medical Card. The state fee is not the same as your doctor’s consultation fee. We collect your doctor’s consultation fee.
To save time, find answers to all your queries related to medical marijuana card registration here.
Benefits of Choosing Online Weed Card in New York
Apply on our website, get approved and receive your recommendation for your cannabis card. We promise a quick process and ensure you receive the same.
Online Medical Card works with a team of board certified doctors. You will receive a recommendation after a consultation with one of our certified doctors.
HIPAA Compliant Service
We work in accordance with the HIPAA guidelines. All patient records remain secure in our database and are not revealed unless the patient gives consent.
Safe Payment Methods
Enjoy completely secure payment methods. Pay for the evaluation using VISA or Mastercards and get a refund if you fail to qualify.
Minimum Wait Time
We offer on-demand consultations. Fill out your application form and consult a doctor right away. We ensure that you don’t have to wait long for your appointment to receive a cannabis card.
24/7 Customer Service
Access our technical support by email, phone or chat. Our team is available 24 hours to solve your queries about registration or MMJ cards.
They have an extremely professional, streamlined method to help you get a medical marijuana recommendation. Plus once I got my recommendation from this place I had no issues at the medical dispensaries.
10 Dec 2021
I had always just heard horror stories when it comes to getting a marijuana card. So, I was pleasantly surprised at how quick and efficient the whole process at this place was to get my card. I highly recommend it if you are looking to get an MMJ card.
8 Dec 2021
I have always been a little intimidated by the whole process of getting a New York cannabis card. But it could not have been easier to get a rec. The process was easy and I got my rec in a couple of hours.
5 Dec 2021
I got my recommendation a year ago from somewhere else but I was hoping to get a renewal from a place closer to home and I came across this place online. I made an appointment and after an evaluation, I got my MMJ card. Highly recommend the place.
1 Dec 2021
Begin Your Journey Into the World of Cannabis Healing
Have a look at this video to understand the process of applying for New York cannabis card.
About New York Marijuana Card
Gov. Cuomo signed AB 7060 (amendment to the Compassionate Care Act) in November 2015 which allowed cannabis use to patients with severely debilitating medical conditions. The full opening of the registered organization took place in 2016 and the first medical cannabis dispensary was opened in January 2016.
The same year, the DOH started adding qualified conditions with chronic pain making it to the state list. The DOH also updated the regulations and allowed certified nurse practitioners to provide recommendations for cannabis cards to qualifying patients. Besides this, registered and licensed organisations were also allowed to sell wholesale cannabis products to different organizations to prevent a decrease in overall supply.
While these changes took place in 2016, the year 2017 brought about significant changes. For example, the DOH began to allow the sale of different forms of cannabis products. These products were also allowed to be legally consumed and possessed by marijuana patients with valid MMJ cards in NY.
Although these laws are not as lax as the laws in California or Colorado, the laws protect patients from speaking legally to a dispensary representative. Similarly, the caregivers can also directly speak to the doctors and dispensary owners on behalf of the patient to receive a cannabis card.
Qualifying Conditions for a Medical Marijuana Card in NY
The NY Medical Marijuana Program has become more inclusive with their list of qualifying medical conditions. As of 2022, the state officially allows medical use of cannabis for all medical conditions provided the patient is qualified by a licensed physician of the state. Some of these qualifying medical conditions are as follows-
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
- Damage to the Spinal Cord with objective neurological signs of intractable spasticity
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Cachexia or the Wasting Syndrome
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- Severe Nausea
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Huntington’s Disease
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Chronic Pain or Any Condition For Which An Opioid Might be Prescribed
However, this is not all. To actually qualify for an MMJ Card you also need to prove that you have another additional complicating condition that is further lowering your quality of life and making your recovery a traumatic experience.
How to Become a Cannabis Card Patient in New York?
New York approved cannabis back in 2014 which was a progressive move. There are a few requirements that one needs to fulfil to be able to get an evaluation from a medical marijuana doctors for a cannabis card.
- All patients need to be at least eighteen when they apply. If they are under the age of 18 then an approved caregiver needs to designate and get a weed card on behalf of the patient.
- Everyone who applies to the medical marijuana program needs to be a resident of the state of New York, They have to furnish proof by submitting a copy of the New York State Driver’s Licence or State Issued Identification Card which states their current address.
- You need to get an evaluation by a certified medical marijuana doctor.
- You need to have a diagnosis of one or more of the medical conditions as listed above.
- Once you have a recommendation for a marijuana card with you by a marijuana doctor, you then need to make an account on My.NY.Gov. Here you will select the MMDMS.
- The next step is to submit the applications through the NYS registry online
- Every patient is allowed to designate 2 caregivers
- Once the application is approved, the state will issue a temporary registry identification card via your My.NY.gov account, this will help you purchase the recommended approved medical marijuana products. Your actual MMJ card will be mailed to the address stated on the application.
- As of 2022, the state has permanently waived the state fee of $50.
How to Become a Registered Patient Caregiver in New York?
As a registered patient in the state of NY, you are allowed to designate one or two caregivers as per your convenience. The job of a caregiver is to help you purchase and help you administer your recommended marijuana.
A designated caregiver needs to be over the age of 21 and needs to be a resident of the state of New York. Another caveat to take care of is that a patient’s primary physician cannot be a caregiver.
So, how does one become a designated caregiver in NY?
- The first step to get certified is to get designated by the patient within the System and then you can get registered with the department as a designated caregiver.
- As the caregiver, you must log to my.ny.gov and then click on the “Health Applications” icon after which you need to click the “Medical Marijuana Data Management System” link and then register.
- If you do not have a personal NY.gov ID then you need to create that first. Make sure that you create that ID as a caregiver within the System.
- Once the registration is approved, you will be issued a temporary registry identification card which can be used in conjecture with Government-issued photo identification to help purchase your recommended marijuana products.
- Caregiver registration also expires as the certification given by the marijuana doctor does. Every time that happens both the patient and the designated caregiver need to re-register.
How to Apply for Renewal of a NY Registry ID ?
Every year you will be required to renew your registry ID, just before you are due for renewal you will receive a notification. The advice is to begin the renewal process a little before your certification expires as renewal can take a while. Plus without a valid registry, you cannot buy marijuana.
The usual time is that of a year, but at times a certification is for a shorter time, so ensure you diligently check when your NY cannabis card is due to expire. In case you have a caregiver, they will not be able to re-certify as a caregiver until you are through. So, pay attention to the date. Try and aim for three weeks prior as that is the standard time for approval.
Frequently Asked Questions
Find answers to the most commonly asked questions about getting a marijuana card in New York online.
After the legalization of cannabis in NY, all adults above the age of 21 years with an MMJ card can possess 3 ounces of cannabis flower or no more than 24 grams of cannabis concentrates. Marijuana patients can also hold up to 60 days of supply at a time provided they have a legit cannabis card with them.
At the moment, only marijuana patients with a valid cannabis card are allowed to purchase cannabis in the state from a medical marijuana dispensary. Selling or buying cannabis recreationally is still illegal.
All qualified patients with a state issued marijuana card can visit a local dispensary and choose from a wide range of products.
You can buy the following marijuana products in NYC:
- Ingestible cannabis products (capsules, tablets, etc.)
- Liquid cannabis (oil, tincture)
- Topicals and transdermal patches
- Smokables (flowers and oils)
Edibles and smokable cannabis products were legalised in New York after the MRTA Act. So, you can expect to find more types of cannabis edibles and smokable flowers in medical dispensaries soon.
No, you cannot grow cannabis in NY. If found guilty, you may be charged with misdemeanour, fine or felony depending upon the amount you possess.
With the approval of the MRTA Act, new cannabis laws have been put into place. This includes the right to cultivate up to 6 cannabis plants. However, the law will not be in effect until the first adult-use retail sale in the state.
Medical weed is not covered by insurance in New York State, even if you have a valid cannabis card. Since marijuana is federally illegal, most insurance providers do not cover cannabis. Consult your insurance provider about the same for more information concerning coverage and NY marijuana card.
Medical marijuana should be used in a private space only. All cannabis smokables can be used publicly in areas where smoking tobacco is allowed.
Since cannabis is psychoactive, it is important to consider your safety and that of others and consume it in a safe and private space only. Driving under the influence of cannabis is prohibited and considered a DUI.
No, New York does not accept out-of-state MMJ cards. You can buy and use cannabis in NY only if you are a resident of the state and have a valid marijuana card from NY .
New York Medical Cannabis Possession Laws
In New York, marijuana is legalized for anyone 21 and older. The public can possess up to three ounces of cannabis and 24 grams of concentrates, while registered patients are allowed a 60-day supply at any time. As of March 31, 2021, it’s legal for people 21 years of age or older to possess, purchase up to three ounces of cannabis and up to twenty-four grams of concentrated cannabis.
Under New York’s marijuana laws, both medical and recreational users of cannabis are permitted to store up to five pounds of harvested cannabis at their private residence. However, this will only be the case for recreational users once the OCM has issued its home cultivation regulations. No person or entity shall sell medical cannabis plants or seeds for home cultivation unless it has complied with the Cannabis Law.
Medical Cannabis users in New York can legally cultivate 6 mature and 6 vegging marijuana plants and have up to 5 pounds of dried flower. Caregivers can grow more depending on the amount of caregivers under them. We linked to the official New york PDF for futher details.
Check Your State and Begin Your 420 Evaluation Today
Get a medical cannabis card for your state easily!