Karina Garcia, mother of a 19-year-old suffering from severe epilepsy requires daily prescribed doses of medical marijuana.
However, California restricts medical marijuana use in schools. Therefore, she has to drive her son out of school every day to administer this drug.
Like her, many parents and caregivers are not allowed to give kids their medications on the school premises. This happens even if they have a medical marijuana evaluation or 420 med evaluation by certified specialists.
Is your child also being denied their right to consuming medicine on school premises?
Do you feel helpless in such situations?
Some good news has finally arrived.
The California State Assembly is working towards approving medical marijuana use in schools.
Let’s look at how changes in the existing law will help children requiring medical cannabis take mmj medicine on school premises.
Overview of the Existing Law:
In California, the law states that both medical and recreational marijuana use is prohibited within 1,000 feet of all K-12 schools.
In order to consume medical marijuana medicine by students with any chronic condition during school hours, they must:
- Have a written letter by a certified physician, physician assistant, surgeon and from a parent or a guardian stating that their child requires medication during their school hours.
- Also, medication should be given away from the campus in the presence of designated school staff.
- Along with this, you are also required to obtain an ID issued by the State Department of Public Health.
The Proposed Senate Bill 1127
This bill is introduced and sponsored by state senator Jerry Hill and D-San Mateo.
To acknowledge the efforts made by Jojo’s mother, this bill would be passed as Jojo’s Act.
School authorities maintaining kindergarten or grades 1 to 12 can allow parents or guardians to possess or administer medical marijuana medicine.
However, parents or guardians must adhere to these rules:
- Medical cannabis medicine should be given in such a way that it will not disrupt any school’s educational environment.
- After giving the required dosage, the rest of the stock must be removed from the school premises.
- They must report to the school authorities before giving this medicine.
- There must be a valid medical recommendation by a certified medical marijuana specialist. Its copy must be submitted to the school authorities.
- School administration is required to keep these records confidential. Except, if required by any state or federal agency.
- No school personnel or staff member is required at the time of consumption of this medicine by the pupil.
- Medical marijuana medicine will only be allowed in either capsule or liquid form.
This bill was earlier rejected by the state assembly on last Thursday. However, after a lot of thinking, this bill has been passed by 42-20 in the assembly.
Now, it is waiting for its final approval by Governor Jerry Brown.
Although, California has already allowed cannabis use by minors with respect to having a medical marijuana evaluation by a 420 doctor.
But, its use is strictly banned from schools.
Seven states of America (Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Illinois, Maine, New Jersey, and Washington) have already approved its use in schools.
Therefore, if the governor will pass this proposed bill, then California will be the eighth state to approve medical marijuana consumption within schools.
Are you in support of this bill?
Do share your thoughts in the comments section below.